What are the facts?
Some of the statistics are:
- 1 in 5 children and youth have a diagnosable emotional, behavioral or mental disorder.
- 1 in 10 young people have a mental health challenge that is severe enough to impair their functioning in school.
- Many estimates show that even though mental illness affects so many of our kids aged 6-17 at least one-half and many estimate as many as 80% of them do not receive the mental health care they need.
- About 50% of students ages 14+ with a mental health condition will drop out of school.
- Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for 15-24-year-olds.